What We Do
At Magnet Technology, we take enormous pride in developing truly innovative technology to produce superconducting magnet solutions of exceptional quality. We are committed to continuously improving our performance. Individually and as a team, we recognise the vital contribution we make in creating medical equipment that transforms healthcare and the lives of people across the globe.
The superconducting magnets produced here are solely for use in MRI systems. We manufacture many different product types with three different field strengths (1.5, 3 and 7 Tesla). The field strength influences the MRI image quality, allows for certain applications and enable speed of image acquisition. The magnet types within the different field strengths address certain market segments, ranging from economy to high end and patient comfort.
Around 95 per cent of the magnets produced at our Oxfordshire facility are exported, and we have been awarded several Queen’s Awards for export success.
- 1986: Developed the world's first Active Shielded magnet.
- 1989: Developed the world's first 1.5T Active Shielded magnet.
- 1994: Developed the world's first Open MRI magnet.
- 1997: Developed the world's first 3.0T Active Shielded magnet.
- 1999: Developed world's first 1.0T Open Active Shielded magnet.
- 2000: Developed the world's first 4.0T Active Shielded magnet. Developed the world's shortest 1.5T MRI magnet.
- 2004: Developed the world's first 1.5T Openbore magnet.
- 2010: Best Factory Awards Winners: Most Improved Plant and Innovation (Process and Design). IMechE Manufacturing Excellence Award: Award for Product Innovation.
- 2012: Queen's Award for Enterprise in Innovation. Best Factory Awards Winners: Best Engineering Plant, Supply Chain Award and Innovation Award. Highly Commended for Skills Development Award.
- 2013: 5* Environment Award from British Safety Council (first Siemens UK business to receive award).
- 2014: Announced the development of 7T MRI Magnet. 5* level in the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM). Recognised for Excellence Program.
- 2015: Overall Best Factory UK Winners
- 2016: Developed the first 7T MRI Scanner suitable for clinical use. Runner-up of the MacRobert Award 2016 for outstanding engineering innovation.
- 2019: EuroMinnies 2019 Award Winner for Best New Radiology Device (1.5T Magnetom Sola MRI Scanner).
What is it like to work at Magnet Technology?
A career at Magnet Technology means you'll be helping to develop truly innovative technology to produce superconducting magnet solutions of exceptional quality. Individually and as a team, we recognise the vital contribution we make in creating medical equipment that transforms healthcare and the lives of people across the globe.
Read more about the roles at Magnet Technology
Bringing MRI where it’s never been before
Breaking new ground: ushering in MRI through the front door
Corporate Social Responsibility
After an amazing 3 years supporting Cancer Research UK and raising in excess of £25k for an incredible charity, our employees voted a new organisation to support in 2020/21. Our charity focus for this period is Thames Valley Air Ambulance. We look forward to working with and supporting them during this time.
We also continue to sponsor the annual Oxford Science Festival in central Oxford and the annual Siemens Healthineers Wytham Woods 10k Run. This along with numerous STEM and support events to our local schools in Eynsham (Bartholomew School and Eynsham Primary School) mean there is plenty of choice for our employees to use their 2 volunteering days a year to a good cause.