Infection prevention and controlDisinfecting contaminated medical devices in the context of COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to spread, confronting healthcare professionals around the world with unprecedented clinical and operational challenges. Preventing the spread of the coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2) within clinical settings is a particularly complex challenge; healthcare providers must not only treat infected patients suffering from COVID-19, but also prevent staff and other patients from becoming infected. One essential precautionary measure is to disinfect all medical equipment after the examination of an infected patient.
At Siemens Healthineers, we are working closely with our customers across the globe to ensure that they have access to the right products, solutions and insights to help them through this exceptionally difficult time. This website is part of this effort, offering specific recommendations and best practices designed to assist healthcare workers to prevent the spread of infection within clinical environments.
Medical device-specific disinfection recommendations
SOMATOM Definition AS
SOMATOM Definition Edge
SOMATOM Definition Flash
SOMATOM Edge Plus
SOMATOM go.Open Pro
MOBILETT Elara Max (Cleaning Guide)
MOBILETT Mira Max
Multix Fusion Max
Explore our best practices on COVID-19
By gathering externally published information from trusted sources, we aim to provide useful information for healthcare providers.
Please note, the information provided on the linked pages is the responsibility of the individual third party websites.
FAQs about preventing and controlling COVID-19 infection in healthcare settings
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are publishing answers to frequently asked questions about infection control for COVID-19 in healthcare facilities. The page is aimed at healthcare personnel involved in caring for patients with confirmed or suspected COVID-19. Topics covered include PPE, aerosol-generating procedures, and nasopharyngeal swabs.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
- Food and Drug Administration, Enforcement Policy for Sterilizers, Disinfectant Devices, and Air Purifiers During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Public Health Emergency
- National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA): COVID-19 Cleaning and Disinfecting Guidance for Electrical Equipment
- General recommendation from Siemens Healthineers regarding devices with direct contact to patients (pdf) 0.42 MB
- CT-specific information from Siemens Healthineers regarding COVID-19
- Radiography-specific information from Siemens Healthineers regarding COVID-19
- Ultrasound-specific information from Siemens Healthineers regarding COVID-19
- Laboratory diagnostic-specific information from Siemens Healthineers regarding COVID-19