Pediatric populations present unique challenges when collecting and processing laboratory samples. Many pediatric areas collect capillary samples which are prone to clotting. In these areas, it is also important in to minimize the amount of blood taken during laboratory sample collection. Point of Care testing can often be a great option to help minimize pre-analytic errors, decrease recollections, and aid in blood conservation.
Point of Care Coordinator
BS, MLS (ASCP)
Children’s Hospital and Medical Center Omaha
Who Should Attend?
- Point of Care coordinators
- Respiratory therapists
- Laboratory technicians/technologists
- Healthcare professionals
Key Learning Objectives
- Identify the benefits of Point of Care Testing (POCT) in pediatrics
- Identify the challenges of collection and testing pediatric specimens
- Describe the impact of POCT on the workflow of pediatric settings