For the first time, MR and PET are one.
By combining MRI’s excellent soft-tissue resolution with PET’s ability to detect cellular metabolism into one scan, MR-PET changes the way we see disease—so that we can effectively treat disease.
The Biograph mMR supports physicians in making a confident diagnosis across disease states in Oncology, Neurology, and Cardiology. Because the hybrid scanner delivers more imaging data, it also provides greater potential for physicians to:
- Accurately detect and assess abnormalities throughout the body
- Quickly identify an illness and prescribe the right treatment
- Schedule fewer appointments since both scans are done at once
- Expose patients to less radiation compared to PET/CT scans
Features & Benefits
Biograph mMR sets a new standard. As the only system that can simultaneously acquire MR and PET data across the whole body, it is a tremendous leap forward in imaging capabilities. Opening new doors in the diagnosis and understanding of disease. Fully supporting you from detection and planning through monitoring and follow-up.
High precision by true simultaneity: a comprehensive diagnostic picture in only one scan
Biograph mMR shows MR and PET data in virtually seamless spatial alignment. In addition, the MR acquisition can be used to correct for motion-related effects in PET, greatly improving image quality.
- Precise alignment of MR and PET through simultaneous acquisition
- One frame of reference
- Minimal motion artifacts
- Exact spatial registration
Minimizing the effects of motion
- Biograph mMR helps eliminate motion effects
- Brilliant MR and PET images through gating tools that freeze motion
- MR based PET gating information helps improve the quality of PET images
- Important for imaging moving organs like the liver
- Helps ensure a better understanding of physiologic processes
- Capturing metabolic and functional processes at the exact same time
- Precise and accurate assessment of disease
Seamless exams by thorough integration: one exam – one room – one whole body solution
Siting one system instead of two presents significant business benefits while patients and staff alike enjoy the benefits of shorter, more comprehensive exams.
One streamlined exam boosts your productivity
- Shortened acquisition times
- Two exams in one can help lead to to faster diagnoses
- Faster results for referring physicians
Shorter exams and low radiation exposure
- Position once for both MR and PET exams
- No coil changing or repositioning, thanks to Tim integrated coil technology
- Reduced radiation exposure compared to other imaging modalities.
Significant reduction of costs
- One room for MR and PET
- One cooling system
- One operator
- Potential for more patients per day
Wider views by realizing potential: unlock medical applications and advance research
Simultaneous, whole-body MR and PET creates a synergy far beyond the capabilities of each. One that will unlock new medical applications now, and advance new areas of research in the future.
Be at the frontier of diagnostics and research with Biograph mMR
- Meet the needs of demanding high-end research
- Use synergies in routine clinical application
- Supports you in all aspects of MR and PET development
- New opportunities in the areas of funding, grants, donations, and publishing
- Attract the attention of referring physicians
- Differentiate your facility in a powerful way
Biograph mMR Customer Videos
Biograph mMR is being utilized in research and clinical routine. Three new customer movies nicely show this.
Pamela Woodard from Washington University (St. Louis, MO, USA) and Dr. S K Sogani from Apollo Hospital (New Delhi, India) – both sharing their experiences with the mMR in their specific setting.
New Delhi, India
St. Louis, MO, USA
Biograph mMR is designed to give you the ability to meet the needs of demanding high-end research. The new system provides technology to tackle the toughest challenges that the world of healthcare faces today.
In oncology imaging you can make full use of the unique features offered by simultaneous MRI and PET imaging. Biograph mMR does not only deliver important information during early detection and staging. It can be a decisive factor for treatment planning, therapy selection and monitoring, and follow-up.
Abdominal and pelvic oncology
- Precise alignment of MRI and PET
- Improved evaluation of smaller lesions
- Beneficial for several applications, e.g. staging and prostate cancer
- No ionizing radiation from MR leads to reduced overall dose
- Especially suitable for repeated scans for therapy response monitoring or follow-up exams
The benefits of MRI and PET in the study of neurologic diseases are widely implemented. Bringing them together offers the potential for a more complete imaging picture and better understanding of neurologic pathologies. In addition, the current research and development of new tracers could add even more value.
- Provides information leading towards early diagnosis of special interests
- With new tracer development Biograph mMR may add to the capabilities of imaging in general
- Large and growing number of cases
- Molecular MR could play an important role in new approaches to schizophrenia, depression, or alcohol abuse
- Therapy planning in brain tumors by combining metabolic information from PET with BOLD, fibertracking and diffusion weighted imaging is a very promising application
- Expanding in the clinical routine in the near future
syngo.via and Biograph mMR are one
Biograph mMR provides MR and PET data as one dataset – molecular MR acquisition data. Every Biograph mMR includes syngo.mMR General, the advanced visualization software application tool based on syngo.via. This allows you to fully utilize this one dataset in your clinical environment.
You benefit at all steps of your reading and reporting workflow:
- Automatic loading of mMR data
- Visualization in precise registration
- Automatic correlation of all MR and PET markings
- Multiple time-point analysis
- One integrated report for final results
- SUV quantification
- Semi-automatic SUV based VoI segmentation
As the world leader in both MRI and PET, Siemens possesses the engineering expertise to fully integrate the two.
We've designed the first PET detectors that allow the integration of whole-body MR and PET - without compromising the performance of either modality
System weight (in operation)
Minimum room size
[102 x 18] [102 x 32]
MQ Gradients (45 mT/m @ 200 T/m/s)
Zero helium boil-off technology
Overview Technical Details
- MR-compatible PET detectors: unique mMR block detector architecture includes integrated cooling features to provide optimal PET performance, as well as specialized shielding to virtually eliminate magnetic field interference in the PET data processing chain.
- Tim: optimized design for Biograph mMR and low-attenuation materials in Tim mMR coils and the mMR Tim Table minimize attenuation of the PET signals. This helps improve the consistency of PET data results.
The integrated state-of-the art PET detectors and detector cooling channels ensure optimal PET performance in Biograph mMR.
Crystal element dimension
4 x 4 x 20 mm
NEMA 2007 – Transverse spatial resolution
FWHM @ 1 cm
Peak NEC rate (@ 21.8 kBq/cc)
Axial FoV for PET
Biograph mMR includes TrueForm Magnet Design. This results in better image quality by reducing the unusable edges in the images as well as better fat saturation for the whole area covered in a scan.
Zero helium boil-off technology
Biograph mMR includes an actively shielded whole-body gradient system for excellent spatial and temporal resolution, enabling patient-specific shimming.
MQ Gradients: 45 mT/m
MQ Gradients: 200 T/m/s
Unique TrueForm RF design includes innovative techniques in the RF excitation hardware as well as new application and processing features.
- Uniform RF distribution in all body regions
- Optimized amplitude and phase transmission settings
- Homogeneous B1 distribution
Siting and installation
Siting one system instead of two allows a significant reduction in costs.
System weight (in operation)
Minimum room size
Biograph mMR requires an installation space similar to a conventional 3T MRI system, thus making the most of your precious space. The benefits of Biograph mMR are obvious: one room, one cooling system, one operator.