The urgency and complexity of the current COVID-19 situation continues to grow, and laboratorians play an essential role. Testing for SARS-CoV-2 is not the only need in managing COVID-19 patients. Fast, accurate screening and monitoring for the variety of health issues that may arise as part of COVID-19 disease management are also needed.
The essential role of laboratory diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 infection
We are committed to helping laboratorians navigate this new world, in order to help you provide the best care to patients in this challenging time. Laboratory testing plays an extended role in managing COVID-19 patients.
At Siemens Healthineers, we are fully committed to supporting our partners throughout the healthcare system by helping them deliver high-value care to patients.
GALLERY: Infographics to learn about COVID-19 Testing
SARS-CoV-2 Total Assay1
Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
Optimize lab workflow for efficient COVID-19 testing
Testing is key to reopening communities, businesses, and the economy
Making COVID-19 testing even more accessible
Not all antibody tests are created equal
Clinical information for laboratorians
Staying ahead of cytokine storm syndrome
Why Specificity Matters in COVID-19 antibody testing
Diagnostic testing for COVID-19
As a truly emergent human pathogen, a specific test for presence of the virus did not exist with the onset of cases, necessitating rapid development. Most current testing for infection relies on detection of the viral RNA using a reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR).
In addition, serology testing from a blood sample can identify antibody to the virus.1,2 These tests will likely prove extremely valuable for surveillance and could potentially provide assessment for immunity, as well as aiding identification of acute infection.
Highly accurate antibody tests help inform clinical and public health decisions, and can be used as an adjunct to PCR tests to aid in clinical assessment.3,4
As availability and supplies for molecular testing for COVID-19 increase, testing turn-around times should improve, but remain contingent on sample collection, proper preanalytical handling (RNA is highly degradable), time to test result, and access to testing (point-of-care vs. lab-based).
Learn how Siemens Healthineers is working hard to provide the best possible support to healthcare providers at each stage of COVID-19 patient care: diagnosis, prognosis, therapy, and follow-up.
Read news and stories about diagnostics and COVID-19
- 8/4/20 Siemens Healthineers Obtains First FDA EUA for Semi-Quantitative Antibody Test
- 7/10/20 SARS-CoV-2 antibody test from Siemens Healthineers evaluated against other leading antibody assays in Public Health England study
- 6/1/20 Siemens Healthineers Receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization for its SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody Test that Delivers Superior Clinical Performance
- Previous Press Releases
- The Role of Laboratory Test Biomarkers in Diagnosis, Risk Stratification and Monitoring of COVID-19 Patients
- Medical Innovation in a post-COVID-19 World
- Intelligent disinfection robots help fight the virus
- Siemens connects healthcare providers and medical designers to produce components through additive manufacturing
- COVID-19: Resources & Updates
Watch on-demand webinars related to COVID-19 and laboratory testing topics.
AACC Webinar: Cytokine Storm Syndrome and COVID-19
In this webinar, Dr. Randy Cron will discuss criteria for identifying Cytokine storm syndrome (CSS) in patients, complications, and available treatments which include glucocorticoids, but also targeted therapies that dampen pro-inflammatory cytokines like interleukin-1 (IL-1) and IL-6.
Randy Q. Cron, MD, PhD
University of Alabama at Birmingham
AACC Webinar: The Role of Laboratory Diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Related Comorbidities
Experiences and Population Management Strategies from Highly Affected Regions of China and Italy: Laboratory tests are vital throughout many clinical pathways, and this webinar describes how laboratory medicine can efficiently help combat the COVID-19 outbreak.
Prof. Mario Plebani
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology, University of Padova School of Medicine
Chief, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, Padova, Italy
Prof. Shu Kui Wang
Director of Central Laboratory
Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
To support you during the ongoing global crisis, PEPconnect is now offering online education on COVID-19. Get resources on coronavirus information, health and wellness, infection prevention and control, and the patient experience.
Additional educational resources
COVID-19 Laboratory Testing Guide
Testing is critical to differentiate COVID-19 from other respiratory disease such as influenza or RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Widespread testing will both inform a COVID-19 diagnosis and aid a greater understanding of disease prevalence, especially in infections that are asymptomatic.
COVID-19: Scientific publications
This collection of information about the COVID-19 pandemic from trusted sources offers useful information to clinicians and healthcare providers fighting the virus worldwide. The content linked on this page includes clinical studies, the latest data, webinars, and clinicians’ first-hand experiences.
Download eBook: Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
As part of our commitment to labs and clinicians in the fight against the pandemic, we aim to keep you informed on current coagulation testing and monitoring recommendations in COVID-19 patients. Read our eBook for an overview on:
- Thrombosis risk factors
- ISTH-recommended coagulation testing algorithm
- Leading recommendations for anticoagulation treatment
- Relevant parameters for patient monitoring
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- How does COVID-19 progress?
- How to test for, treat, and immunize
- How are COVID-19 tests administered?
- How to avoid spreading COVID-19
The products/features (mentioned herein) are not commercially available in all countries. Due to regulatory reasons their future availability cannot be guaranteed. Please contact your local Siemens Healthineers organization for further details.
1. Ehterinton, D. https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/27/the-fda-just-okayed-multiple-15-minute-blood-tests-to-screen-for-coronavirus-but-there-are-caveats/ (Accessed March 28, 2020)
2. Morris, A. https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/local/arizona-health/2020/03/28/university-arizona-working-tests-detect-covid-19-antibodies/5083093002/ (Accessed March 28, 2020)
3. https://www.idsociety.org/globalassets/idsa/public-health/covid-19/idsa-covid-19-antibody-testing-primer.pdf Accessed July, 27, 2020
4. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/resources/antibody-tests-guidelines.html Accessed July 27, 2020
*Under development. Not available for sale. Future availability cannot be guaranteed.
**CE-IVD labeled for diagnostic use in the EU. This test has not been FDA cleared or approved. This test has been authorized by FDA under an EUA for use by authorized laboratories. This test has been authorized only for the detection of nucleic acid from SARS-CoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens. This test is only authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of in vitro diagnostics for detection and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 under Section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21. U.S.C. § 360bbb- 3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner.
***This test has not been FDA cleared or approved. This test has been authorized by FDA under an EUA for use by authorized laboratories. This test has been authorized only for detecting the presence of antibodies against SARS-CoV-2, not for any other viruses or pathogens. This test is only authorized for the duration of the declaration that circumstances exist justifying the authorization of emergency use of in vitro diagnostics for detection and/or diagnosis of COVID-19 under Section 564(b)(1) of the Act, 21 U.S.C. § 360bbb-3(b)(1), unless the authorization is terminated or revoked sooner. Product availability may vary by country and is subject to regulatory requirements.