Viral hepatitis is a global health problem that affects hundreds of millions of children and adults. Although multiple pathogens have been associated with hepatitis, three in particular (hepatitis A, B, and C) are responsible for the majority of virally linked hepatitis cases. Chronic viral hepatitis B and C are a major cause of chronic liver disease, which may manifest as liver fibrosis and cirrhosis leading to liver cancer and the need for liver transplantation.
Laboratory Testing: Hepatitis B
You can depend on Siemens Healthineers to provide your lab with the test accuracy and efficiency you demand for hepatitis B diagnostic testing.
The HBsAg II assay available on the Atellica® IM Analyzer and ADVIA Centaur Immunoassay Systems is designed with patented acridinium ester (AE) technology, allowing for enhanced precision and sensitivity. Incorporating the zwitterionic AE molecule into the assay format results in greater sensitivity and improved detection of HBsAg mutants. A total of five monoclonal antibodies are used in the HBsAgII assay design, greatly improving the assay’s sensitivity and specificity.
Only the HBsAg II assay from Siemens Healthineers offers a “hot zone” and SMART algorithm for greater lab efficiency.
- Reduce your test volumes. Samples in the hot zone (initial results ≥50 Index Units) may be reported as reactive. Only samples with initial values between 1 and <50 Index Units require further testing.
- Improve your lab efficiency. The SMART algorithm automatically repeats testing on samples that require further analysis.
With the use of disposable sample tips on the Atellica IM Analyzer and ADVIA Centaur Systems, potential sample carryover and subsequent risk of false positives are never a concern.
Laboratory Testing: Hepatitis C
Universal hepatitis C screening:
- Hepatitis C screening at least once in a lifetime for all adults aged 18 years and older, except in settings where the prevalence of HCV infection (HCV RNA-positivity) is less than 0.1%*
- Hepatitis C screening for all pregnant women during each pregnancy, except in settings where the prevalence of HCV infection (HCV RNA‑positivity) is less than 0.1%*
The Siemens Healthineers’ assay for HCV available on the Atellica® IM Analyzer and ADVIA Centaur® Immunoassay Systems is a true third-generation assay with the ability to detect the NS5 antibody.2 The assay design uses patented acridinium ester (AE) technology for improved sensitivity in detecting low-level analytes and better accuracy and precision.
Laboratory Testing: Importance
From diagnosis through active disease and chronic progression, laboratory testing plays an important role in the identification, treatment, and monitoring of patients with hepatitis.
- Liver function tests (e.g., ALT, AST) help to determine the extent of liver damage.
- Immunoassay testing aids in the diagnosis of viral hepatitis and may indicate if the infection is acute or chronic.
- Nucleic acid testing (NAT) is used to confirm hepatitis diagnosis, guide treatment, and indicate prognosis.
- Biomarkers, imaging, and biopsy help to stage the degree of fibrosis and liver injury.
The Clinician’s Reference Guide: Diagnostic Testing in the Management of Viral Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C, developed by Siemens Healthineers, helps clarify the role of hepatitis tests as an aid in patient management.
Siemens Healthineers offers diagnostic testing products for screening, diagnosis, and monitoring of hepatitis as well as liver function testing. Product availability varies by region. Contact your local sales representative for a copy of the Siemens Healthineers Hepatitis Product Portfolio Guide appropriate for your country.