The urgency and complexity of the current COVID-19 situation continues to grow, and laboratorians play an essential role. Testing for SARS-CoV-2 is not the only need in managing COVID-19 patients. Fast, accurate screening and monitoring for the variety of health issues that may arise as part of COVID-19 disease management are also needed.
The essential role of laboratory diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 infection
We are committed to helping laboratorians navigate this new world, in order to help you provide the best care to patients in this challenging time. Laboratory testing plays an extended role in managing COVID-19 patients.
At Siemens Healthineers, we support our partners throughout the healthcare system by helping them deliver high-value care to patients.
GALLERY: Infographics to learn about COVID-19 Testing
Diagnostic testing for COVID-19
As a truly emergent human pathogen, a specific test for presence of the virus did not exist with the onset of cases, necessitating rapid development. Most current testing for infection relies on detection of the viral RNA using a reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR).
In addition, serology testing from a blood sample can identify antibody to the virus.1,2 These tests will likely prove extremely valuable for surveillance and could potentially provide assessment for immunity, as well as aiding identification of acute infection.
Highly accurate antibody tests help inform clinical and public health decisions, and can be used as an adjunct to PCR tests to aid in clinical assessment.3,4
As availability and supplies for molecular testing for COVID-19 increase, testing turn-around times should improve, but remain contingent on sample collection, proper preanalytical handling (RNA is highly degradable), time to test result, and access to testing (point-of-care vs. lab-based).
When used as part of a comprehensive mitigation strategy, the CLINITEST® Rapid COVID-19 Antigen Test can serve as an effective tool to help communities identify infected individuals and isolate outbreaks.†
Learn how Siemens Healthineers is working hard to provide the best possible support to healthcare providers at each stage of COVID-19 patient care:diagnosis, prognosis, therapy, and follow-up.
Read news and stories about diagnostics and COVID-19
- 1/12/21 COVID-19 Antigen Test achieved CE Mark for easier specimen collection from the frontal part of the nose
- 11/18/20 Siemens Healthineers is the First Leading Diagnostics Company Offering a Quantitative COVID-19 Test to Measure Neutralizing Antibodies
- 10/14/20 Siemens Healthineers Launches Rapid Antigen Test for the Detection of SARS-CoV-2
- Previous Press Releases
- The Role of Laboratory Test Biomarkers in Diagnosis, Risk Stratification and Monitoring of COVID-19 Patients
- Medical Innovation in a post-COVID-19 World
- Intelligent disinfection robots help fight the virus
- Siemens connects healthcare providers and medical designers to produce components through additive manufacturing
- COVID-19: Resources & Updates
To support you during the ongoing global crisis, PEPconnect is now offering online education on COVID-19. Get resources on coronavirus information, health and wellness, infection prevention and control, and the patient experience.
Additional educational resources
COVID-19 Laboratory Testing Guide
Testing is critical to differentiate COVID-19 from other respiratory disease such as influenza or RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Widespread testing will both inform a COVID-19 diagnosis and aid a greater understanding of disease prevalence, especially in infections that are asymptomatic.
COVID-19: Scientific publications
This collection of information about the COVID-19 pandemic from trusted sources offers useful information to clinicians and healthcare providers fighting the virus worldwide. The content linked on this page includes clinical studies, the latest data, webinars, and clinicians’ first-hand experiences.
Download eBook: Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
As part of our commitment to labs and clinicians in the fight against the pandemic, we aim to keep you informed on current coagulation testing and monitoring recommendations in COVID-19 patients. Read our eBook for an overview on:
- Thrombosis risk factors
- ISTH-recommended coagulation testing algorithm
- Leading recommendations for anticoagulation treatment
- Relevant parameters for patient monitoring
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- How does COVID-19 progress?
- How to test for, treat, and immunize
- How are COVID-19 tests administered?
- How to avoid spreading COVID-19