The CLINITEST® hCG test is a qualitative, instrument-read, urine test for early detection of pregnancy. The test is performed on the CLINITEK Status® family of analyzers, provides results in as little as 2 minutes, and is CLIA-waived on the CLINITEK Status family of analyzers. View one of the tutorials below to learn to do it right.
View a detailed demonstration (slide show)
Click the first image to start the slide show. Once open, click the image to proceed. Captions are provided.
- Collect specimen in a clean, dry container – specimens collected at any time of the day may be used.
- Test fresh sample within 2 hours of collection. Refrigerate specimen at 2°C to 8°C for up to 72 hours if the testing is not done immediately.
- Refrigerated samples should be brought to room temperature prior to testing.
Hints to Avoid Errors
- Use only pipette provided with each cassette pack to ensure proper volume of 200 µL is dispensed.
- Do not overfill sample well with more than one pipette stem of sample.
- Do not empty overflow reservoir. It is normal for excess sample to remain in overflow reservoir. Do not try to dispel it.
- Do not add sample to the sample well until after you press the START button.
- Visibly bloody or highly colored samples should not be tested
- If a positive result is obtained on an individual where pregnancy is not suspected, confirm with an alternative urine or blood method or repeat the test with another urine sample 24 hours later.
- If a borderline result is obtained and pregnancy is suspected, rerun with an alternative urine or blood method or repeat the CLINITEST hCG test in 48-72 hours.
- In acute situations where the test result does not correlate with the observed clinical condition of the patient, have a blood sample drawn from the patient and confirm the CLINITEST hCG result by a quantitative blood test.