The Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) Standard describes the means of formatting and exchanging medical images and image related information to facilitate the connectivity of medical devices and systems.
The DICOM Standard endorsed by the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) is a result of joint efforts of users and manufacturers of medical imaging and healthcare information technology.
DICOM defines formats & exchange mechanisms for
- Findings, Measurements & Reports (Clinical Documentation)
DICOM enables the connectivity and exchange of data between
- Image Acquisition Devices / Modalities: X-Ray, CT, MR, NM, US
- Diagnostic Workstations
- Image Management Systems (PACS)
- Storage and Archive Products
- Radiology Information Systems (RIS)
- Cardiology Information Systems (CIS)
- Radiation Therapy Planning Systems
The DICOM Conformance Statements specify the details about the implementation of the DICOM standard for specific products.
The DICOM Standard is under continuous maintenance, the current official version is available at:
DICOM Home Page
Contact: DICOM at Siemens Healthcare
For viewing PDF files you need the Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you don´t have it already installed, you can download it from Adobe.