Up to 26% of all imaging is ordered incorrectly when placed without evidence based standards.1
Educates. Motivates. Improves.
Our Medicalis Clinical Decision Support (CDS) is at the forefront of this development. Based on our knowledge and expertise acquired through more than 15 years of experience in this domain, our solution has been developed with an intuitive design, making it easy for your referring providers to request imaging consultations with evidence support to guide them through the entire process.
With a focus on specific modalities, indications, and priority clinical areas for content delivery and by taking an evidence-based and targeted approach, you can ensure your referring physicians are ordering exams for cases where the potential for positive impact on patient care is high, thus increasing the quality of service and providing added value without discouraging the ordering physician.
Build a CDS solution that aligns with your quality program
Improve quality and reduce wasteful utilization
Reduce communication breakdowns and operational inefficiencies
Engage providers, encourage best practice
Implement your own local standard of care and meet the PAMA Mandate
The flexibility of the Medicalis Clinical Decision Support system provides you with options to gradually implement a CDS solution that is best suited to your institution’s needs:
- We support your rollout process. You can start by implementing the appropriate use criteria that are aligned with your priority clinical areas and gradually expand to other appropriate use criteria at a later date.
- We accommodate your workflow. We offer different access options for the Medicalis Clinical Decision Support mechanism, such as multiple portal-based solutions and EMR integration options to accommodate your ordering physician’s workflow.
- We support multiple guidelines. Our Medicalis solution consists of a CDS mechanism that can be implemented in conjunction with your selected guidelines.
Medicalis Clinical Decision Support is an adaptable system that helps you address potential related imaging clinical decision support regulations such as the upcoming Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) PAMA mandate in the United States.
“By utilizing Medicalis technology integrated with our enterprise EHR, Weill Cornell Imaging hasn’t just optimized its current safety and operational workflows, it’s also well positioned for further reimbursement, regulatory, and operational requirements.”2
Keith Hentel, MD, MS
Executive Vice Chairman, Vice Chairman for Clinical Operations,
Associate Professor of Clinical Radiology at Weill Cornell Medicine, Department of Radiology, New York Presbyterian Hospital, USA
What is the U.S. CMS PAMA mandate3?
The Protecting Access to Medicare Act (PAMA) is a U.S. CMS mandate which aims to ensure the appropriate use of advanced imaging exams. Responsibilities to meet the mandate can be summarized as follows:
- The ordering professional (e.g., ordering physician) must consult with CMS-qualified appropriate use criteria (AUC) provided by a qualified Provider-Led Entity (qPLE) through a CMS-qualified clinical decision support mechanism (CDSM) when ordering an imaging exam for one of the priority clinical areas (PCA)
- The furnishing professional (e.g., radiology department) must report the results of the AUC consultation on whether the Medicare beneficiary’s claim submitted meets the mandate allowing an application for exam reimbursement
Important PAMA dates:
Start of operational testing period: Ongoing since January 2020
Start of full implementation: January 2022
Medicalis CDS has been a CMS-qualified clinical decision support mechanism since November 2017
Medicalis Clinical Decision Support has been confirmed as a fully qualified clinical decision support mechanism (CDSM) by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) under the Medicare appropriate use criteria (AUC) program for advanced diagnostic imaging.
Medicalis CDS Consult Portal
Easy online access to clinical decision support
Provide your physicians with easy access to online clinical decision support consultation through a cloud-hosted consult portal and keep them informed while encouraging clinically appropriate use of advanced diagnostic imaging.
Our Medicalis CDS Consult Portal is a simple cloud-hosted clinical decision support (CDS) solution that allows you to offer imaging consultation services to your referral community to support your imaging order quality program.
CDS access as easy as 1 2 3
We manage the platform to offer 24/7 availability
We setup your specific instance of consult portal
Your referrals have simple online access to your best practice guidelines
Medicalis CDS Consult Portal offers interactive sessions for the best outcomes.
- Enables health care professionals to independently review the basis of recommendation
- Educates and motivates providers to use imaging appropriately
- Leverages community-based imaging expertise to reduce unnecessary imaging costs