Redefining the possibilities of cardiac care with an intelligent hybrid operating room
The new cardiac Hybrid OR at London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) in London, Ontario represents a new frontier in cardiac surgery. The customized operating room (OR) features a 3-D imaging system with an integrated OR table that together improve workflow, increase efficiency and ensure a high-level of infection control.
Hybrid ORs are comprised of a suite of digitally connected technologies that can accommodate several surgical techniques, interventional techniques and diagnostics in one room at the same time. It is designed to support the workflow of an entire team of surgeons, anesthetists, nurses and technicians.
“With access to a Hybrid OR we can tackle many different areas of coronary artery disease, aortic disease and valvular heart disease by combining surgical techniques and interventional techniques to achieve the best outcomes,” says Dr. Michael Chu, interim Chair/Chief of Cardiac Care at LHSC. “What excites us the most is that patients can have less invasive operations, recover faster and get even better care.”
The Hybrid OR can accommodate current health care trends and challenges, ranging from an aging population with multiple health conditions to patients who are clinically obese and need proper support during surgical procedures.
The heart of the Hybrid OR is the Siemens Healthineers ARTIS Pheno® C-arm and fully integrated Hillrom TruSystem® 7500 Hybrid OR Table. Working in collaboration, the system provides the surgical team with the most accurate data and flexible equipment for an optimal patient outcome.
The Siemens Healthineers ARTIS Pheno® C-arm allows for image-guided surgery, providing a 3-D image of the patient without interfering with the team’s workflow. The floor mounted C-arm also maintains a small footprint in the operating room, while making a big impact on patient outcomes with the most accurate data available to the surgeon before, during and after surgery.
Connected digitally to the C-arm, the Hillrom TruSystem® 7500 Hybrid OR Table provides precise patient positioning at every point during a surgical procedure. Able to handle up to 500 pounds (225 kilograms), the TruSystem® OR Table is designed to accommodate intraoperative imaging and imaging equipment that can scan through the bed, allowing for a 3-D image of the patient.
“Working together, we can find solutions to address the needs and challenges of our customers,” said René Boyer, Sr. Director, Sales & Marketing of Diagnostic Imaging at Siemens Healthineers. “Faced with constantly changing demographics, including older patients with more health issues, we need to be prepared for more requests for diagnostic imaging and intervention. This partnership between LHSC, Hillrom Canada and Siemens Healthineers will benefit patient outcomes.”
“Hillrom Canada is a leader in operating room table technology and Siemens Healthineers is a leader in imaging technology,” said Michael Hamilton, Vice-President and General Manager of Hillrom Canada. “So, when we’re able to put these technologies together, and they work in concert, it really allows the surgeons to operate at their best. It’s an exciting opportunity to push the frontiers of medicine and redefine cardiac care in Canada.”
Hybrid Operating Room Backgrounder
Siemens Healthineers and Hillrom Canada are excited to announce the installation of a Hybrid OR at London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) in London, Ontario, one of the more recently implemented Hybrid OR’s in Canada.
Hybrid operating rooms increase patient safety.
• Safe and effective patient positioning
• Perform the latest procedures
• Makes complex treatment safer
• Support hospital infection control measures
• Maximizes surgical capabilities
Hybrid operating rooms increase efficiency.
• Flexibility to accommodate more patients and procedures
• Operating room integration and connectivity
• Ability to communicate inside and outside the operating room
• Accessible and adaptable equipment
• Increased flexibility in scheduling and efficient turnover
• Perform procedures of different types and complexity
Siemens Healthineers ARTIS® Pheno C-arm
• Floor-mounted robotic C-arm system
• Virtual and intelligent system that can adapt to the patient, regardless of age, size, weight or the presence of comorbidities
• Maintains the highest infection control standards at every step along the treatment chain
• Simplifies the routine for minimally invasive surgery
• Faster 3-D imaging with better patient outcomes, before, during, and after surgical procedures
Hillrom Canada TruSystem® 7500 OR System Table
• Enables highly ergonomic working methods for patient loads of up to 500 lbs
• Ideal for cardiovascular surgery
• Free-floating movement to optimize the patient’s position can be achieved through sensor technology
• Safer workflow with the addition of the TruSystem® 7500 SensorLine, which allows for functions such as overload protection and collision monitoring
High-resolution photography is available by contacting:
RedRhino Inc.: Tristan Joseph Phone: 226-219-7249 Email: email@example.com
Contact for journalists
Phone: +1 905-399-8491; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org