"The Siemens Healthineers Atellica VTLi point-of-care assay technology, utilizing whole blood with result turn-around times in as fast as eight minutes, provides a high-sensitivity cardiac troponin I measurement that is equivalent to the diagnostic and analytical accuracy of instruments found in the central laboratory. I believe this POC system could easily integrate into existing hospital and clinic workflows, with the potential to impact patient care and clinical outcomes, with operational and financial efficiencies."
Dr. Fred Apple, PhD, Medical Director of clinical laboratories, clinical chemistry, point-of-care testing, and clinical and forensic toxicology laboratories at Hennepin County Medical Center
Evidence-based, Accurate, High-sensitivity Troponin I Results
99th URL (ng/L)
Streamlined Patient Testing Workflow
- Sample type flexibility: The system can produce results on lithium-heparin whole blood, lithium-heparin plasma, and capillary samples.
- Sample volume: minimum of 30 µL of blood required to perform the test.
- Test results are sent securely through our POC Ecosystem™ Solution via WI-FI or Ethernet for storage in the LIS/HIS and EMR.
Clinical value of high-sensitivity cTn from ESC Guidelines2
Compared with conventional troponin assays:
- Higher NPV for AMI
- Reduced “troponin-blind” interval, leading to earlier detection of AMI
- Result in ~4% absolute and ~20% relative increases in the detection of type 1 MI and corresponding decrease in the diagnosis of unstable angina
- Associated with 2-fold increase in the detection of type 2 MI
Levels of hs-cTn are quantitative markers of cardiomyocyte damage:
- Elevations greater than 5 times the URL have high (90%) PPV for acute type 1 MI.
- Elevations up to 3 times the URL have limited (50–60%) PPV for AMI.
- It is common to detect circulating levels of cardiac troponin in healthy people.
Rising and/or falling cardiac troponin levels differentiate acute from chronic cardiomyocyte damage.
The cartridge is disposable (single-use) and specific for one or more assays, with no warm-up time from refrigerated storage.
Each disposable cartridge is identified by a unique Radio Frequency identification (RFID) chip, that contains information on the type of test, calibration data, and lot-specific information.
- Instructs the instrument to automatically starts the correct assay protocol
- Integrated assay quality control in every cartridge
Troponin: High-Sensitivity vs. Contemporary1
- Contemporary assays must detect cTn in 20% to <50% of healthy individuals.
- High-sensitivity assays must detect cTn in at least 50% of healthy individuals and must have <10% CV at the 99th percentile of normal.
- Units of measure:
- Contemporary: ng/mL
- High-sensitivity: ng/L
- Software version/validity
- Electronic system
- Temperature control system
- Storage space
- Imaging system
- Analyzer orientation
- Battery level
- Magnetic system
- RFID version/validity
- Cartridge use data
- Light intensity reference
- Cartridge type
- Cartridge alignment
- No sample added
- Expiry date
- Optical image quality
- Sample application
- Cartridge filling time
- Sample volume check
- Analyzer cap closed
- Cartridge temperature
- Dynamic readout
- Power button disabled
- Light intensity
- Cartridge movement
- Analyzer orientation/shock