The urgency and complexity of the current COVID-19 situation continues to grow, and laboratorians play an essential role. Testing for SARS-CoV-2 is not the only need in managing COVID-19 patients. Fast, accurate screening and monitoring for the variety of health issues that may arise as part of COVID-19 disease management are also needed.
The essential role of laboratory diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 infection
We are committed to helping laboratorians navigate this new world, in order to help you provide the best care to patients in this challenging time. Laboratory testing plays an extended role in managing COVID-19 patients.
At Siemens Healthineers, we are fully committed to supporting our partners throughout the healthcare system by helping them deliver high-value care to patients.
GALLERY: Infographics to learn about COVID-19 Testing
Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
Read news and stories about diagnostics and COVID-19
- 10/14/20 Siemens Healthineers Launches Rapid Antigen Test for the Detection of SARS-CoV-2
- 9/15/20 Siemens Healthineers Collaboration with CDC Will Define Threshold for Neutralizing Antibody Sufficient to Confer Immunity
- 8/4/20 Siemens Healthineers Obtains First FDA EUA for Semi-Quantitative Antibody Test
- Previous Press Releases
- The Role of Laboratory Test Biomarkers in Diagnosis, Risk Stratification and Monitoring of COVID-19 Patients
- Medical Innovation in a post-COVID-19 World
- Intelligent disinfection robots help fight the virus
- Siemens connects healthcare providers and medical designers to produce components through additive manufacturing
- COVID-19: Resources & Updates
Watch on-demand webinars related to COVID-19 and laboratory testing topics.
AACC Webinar: Cytokine Storm Syndrome and COVID-19
In this webinar, Dr. Randy Cron will discuss criteria for identifying Cytokine storm syndrome (CSS) in patients, complications, and available treatments which include glucocorticoids, but also targeted therapies that dampen pro-inflammatory cytokines like interleukin-1 (IL-1) and IL-6.
Randy Q. Cron, MD, PhD
University of Alabama at Birmingham
AACC Webinar: The Role of Laboratory Diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Related Comorbidities
Experiences and Population Management Strategies from Highly Affected Regions of China and Italy: Laboratory tests are vital throughout many clinical pathways, and this webinar describes how laboratory medicine can efficiently help combat the COVID-19 outbreak.
Prof. Mario Plebani
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology, University of Padova School of Medicine
Chief, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, Padova, Italy
Prof. Shu Kui Wang
Director of Central Laboratory
Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
To support you during the ongoing global crisis, PEPconnect is now offering online education on COVID-19. Get resources on coronavirus information, health and wellness, infection prevention and control, and the patient experience.
Additional educational resources
COVID-19 Laboratory Testing Guide
Testing is critical to differentiate COVID-19 from other respiratory disease such as influenza or RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Widespread testing will both inform a COVID-19 diagnosis and aid a greater understanding of disease prevalence, especially in infections that are asymptomatic.
COVID-19: Scientific publications
This collection of information about the COVID-19 pandemic from trusted sources offers useful information to clinicians and healthcare providers fighting the virus worldwide. The content linked on this page includes clinical studies, the latest data, webinars, and clinicians’ first-hand experiences.
Download eBook: Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
As part of our commitment to labs and clinicians in the fight against the pandemic, we aim to keep you informed on current coagulation testing and monitoring recommendations in COVID-19 patients. Read our eBook for an overview on:
- Thrombosis risk factors
- ISTH-recommended coagulation testing algorithm
- Leading recommendations for anticoagulation treatment
- Relevant parameters for patient monitoring
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- How does COVID-19 progress?
- How to test for, treat, and immunize
- How are COVID-19 tests administered?
- How to avoid spreading COVID-19