Examples of prototypes:
The syngo.via Frontier Prototype Store is continuously enriched with new contributions from Siemens Healthineers R&D and external partners. Here are some current examples for different modalities.
Alberta Stroke Program Early CT Score (ASPECTS) is a 10-point quantitative CT score to assess early ischemic changes on pretreatment CT studies in patients with acute ischemic stroke of the anterior circulation.1
The ASPECTS prototype offers:
• Patient specific mapping of the score regions based on an atlas of the human brain
• Comparison of the CT values of all score regions and their contralaterals
• Comprehensive Red-Yellow-Green color coding of the score values
1 Pexman JH, Barber PA, Hill MD, Sevick RJ, Demchuk AM, Hudon ME, Hu WY, Buchan AM. Use of the Alberta Stroke Program Early CT Score (ASPECTS) for assessing CT scans in patients with acute stroke. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2001 Sep;22(8):1534-42.
Skull and Pelvis Unfolding
This prototype enables a fully-automatic unfolding of skull and pelvis that aids in the detection of fractures and bleeding:
• Unfolding of pelvic bone, skull base, skull vault and the soft tissue directly beneath the vault
• Improved sensitivity in detection of fractures and hematoma – fast and easy1, 2
• Synchronized navigation between unfolding views and MPRs
1 Ringl H., Schernthaner R. E., Schueller G., Balassy C. et. al.: „The skull unfolded: a cranial CT visualization algorithm for fast and easy detection of skull fractures.“ Radiology, 255(2), May 2010, 553-562.
2 Ringl H., Stiassny F., Schima W., Toepker M., Czerny C., Schueller G. et. al.: „Intracranial hematomas at a glance: advanced visualization for fast and easy detection.“ Radiology, 267(2), May 2013, 553-562.
Coronary Plaque Analysis
This prototype allows volumetric quantification and differentiation of lipid, fibrous, and calcified plaques.
- Advanced tools for analyzing atherosclerotic plaque morphology and characterizing different plaque composites, such as lipid and fibrous: Overall Plaque Burden, Segment Involvement Score, Quantitative Remodeling Index, Quantitative Eccentricity Index
- Potential to assess the vulnerability of atherosclerotic lesions and evaluate strategies for stabilizing plaque
DE Rho/Z Maps
This advanced Dual Energy technique provides tissue differentiation based on electron density and effective atomic number.
- Improved differentiation and characterization of different tissues
- Conversion of standard Hounsfield units into electron density maps without the use of calibration phantoms
- More reliable planning for radiation therapy and reduced risk of overexposure
DE Scatter Plots
This Dual Energy research prototype visualizes the energy dependencies of materials.
- Complete statistical evaluation of a ROI
- Material homogeneity analysis
- Detailed material analysis with advanced statistical parameters such as variance and skewness
Whereas perfusion techniques evaluate the patient’s brain parenchyma, the main goal of this prototype is to provide insight on the dynamics of the vascular structures.
- Complementary visualization of dynamic data
- Overlay of the color image to the tMIP (temporal Maximum Intensity Projection) of the perfusion dataset, showing the time of maximal enhancement
- Visualization of the blood flow from the arteries to the sinus sagitalis superior in colors corresponding to the time over the MPRs or VRT
3D Printing for AAA
3D printing of an abdominal aortic aneurysm can be used to facilitate decision-making and device selection for endovascular repair.
- Automatic segmentation of the lumen and thrombus of an abdominal aortic aneurysm on CTA images
- Export of segmentations as .stl meshes as an input for 3D printers
Cardiac Functional Analysis
This prototype compiles a functional analysis of the heart and its compartments from different CT acquisitions and datasets.
- Incorporates stress and rest studies, static and dynamic myocardial perfusion, multiphase CTA, Dual Energy PBV, and others
- Quantitative statistical analysis of 2D polar map-related AHA segments and user-defined ROIs in the underlying 3D data
- Automatic segmentation of left ventricle (epi- and endocardium), right ventricle, and left and right atria
Best Contrast employs multiband filtering to improve low-contrast resolution while keeping noise unaffected.
- Improved contrast-to-noise ratio
- Enhanced image quality and tissue differentiation
- Potential to reduce radiation dose
Cardiac Risk Assessment
This prototype uses non-contrast CT data to provide an analysis of visceral fat.
- Quantitative abdominal and pericardial fat analysis
- Includes fat volumes, histograms, and other measurements such as the waistline or patient diameters
- Improved risk assessment for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes
This software allows the identification of bone lesion progression from baseline to follow-up study.
- Improved identification of subtle changes in bone lesions, such as hyperplasia and bone metastasis
- Intelligent and adaptive image subtraction for spine and pelvis
- Includes quantitative analysis tools to statistically calculate the bone density loss/gain
- Intelligent synchronization and navigation between baseline and follow-up scans
Track Density Imaging (TDI)
TDI supports the visualization of brain structures, such as the different thalamic nuclei.
- Generation of track density images with multiple user-specifiable options
- Display of grey-scale and colored images as MPR along with the unformatted original
- DICOM export
This prototype generates multiple MR contrasts using quantitative T1 and T21 maps, M01 data, and optional ADC map.
- Contains preset contrasts (DIR, FLAIR, PSIR, …)
- User-specific contrasts with interactive sliders (TR, TE, TI1, TI2, b-value) and ROI-based tissue nulling. Contrast presets can be saved for future use
- ROI-based statistical analysis and DICOM/CSV export
1 T2 mapping with extrapolation of M0 data is currently under development; it is not for sale in the U.S. Its future availability cannot be guaranteed.
This prototype is designed for easier and faster evaluation of disks and vertebrae, even in cases of severe spine curvature.
- Automatic generation of spine pCPRs for datasets acquired with Spine AutoAlign and spine labelling in all images
- Synchronized navigation between axial and CPR/MPR segments; navigation through a stack of pCPR images
- DICOM export
Orthopedic Radial MPR
This prototype is designed to help the user efficiently create radial MPRs of 3D hip and knee images acquired with AutoAlign.
- Automatic positioning and orientation of radial MPRs for hip and knee images
- Single-click toggle between left and right hip joints
- Angle measurement tool
- Export of images as DICOM, export of measurements as CSV
This prototype enables deformable registration of two 3D datasets1 for improved accuracy in soft-tissue reading.
- Easy specification of the reference volume for the elastic registration with a toggle button
- Alpha blending functionality
- Export of the elastically registered series in DICOM format
1 Images must have same matrix size, FoV, and contrast.
The Body Diffusion prototype provides three state-of-the-art advanced parametric models for diffusion-weighted imaging (DWI):
- Monoexponential model
- Intravoxel Incoherent Motion (IVIM)1 – a bi-exponential model based on the acquisition of very low b values
- Diffusion Kurtosis Imaging (DKI) – a parabolic model based on the acquisition of very high b values
The analysis includes:
- Pixel-based evaluation of the fit and measured curves
- Computed b-value image using any of the models
- ROI measurements
Images can be exported in DICOM format.
1 Acquisition of IVIM data is currently under development; it is not for sale in the U.S. Its future availability cannot be guaranteed.
Cinematic Rendering is a unique rendering technology based on a physically accurate simulation of how light interacts with matter. It provides a photo-realistic rendering of:
- Scattering and subsurface scattering
Cinematic rendering is designed to see in vivo the true anatomy for improved counseling, surgery planning, teaching, and other purposes.
This prototype enables the segmentation of individual anatomical structures from CT or MR datasets to generate .stl files for 3D printers. It contains multiple segmentation tools, for example:
- Volumetric tools like region growing and HU-based thresholding
- Semi-automatic contouring tools using smart interpolation
- Object editing tools
- Support for hollow model creation