The urgency and complexity of the current COVID-19 situation continues to grow, and laboratorians play an essential role. Testing for SARS-CoV-2 is not the only need in managing COVID-19 patients. Fast, accurate screening and monitoring for the variety of health issues that may arise as part of COVID-19 disease management are also needed.
The essential role of laboratory diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 infection
We are committed to helping laboratorians navigate this new world, in order to help you provide the best care to patients in this challenging time. A new COVID-19 Laboratory Testing Guide provides timely, relevant content to support the extended role of laboratory diagnostics in managing COVID-19 patients:
- Transmission and clinical classification
- Course of patients at risk
- Current recommendations for laboratory testing
- Frequent laboratory abnormalities
- Impact of patients with co-morbidities
At Siemens Healthineers, we are fully committed to supporting our partners throughout the healthcare system by helping them deliver high-value care to patients.
Diagnostic testing for COVID-19
As a truly emergent human pathogen, a specific test for presence of the virus did not exist with the onset of cases, necessitating rapid development. Most current testing for infection relies on detection of the viral RNA using a reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction (rtPCR). In addition, serology testing from a blood sample can identify antibody to the virus.1,2 These tests will likely prove extremely valuable for surveillance and could potentially provide assessment for immunity, as well as aiding identification of acute infection.
As availability and supplies for molecular testing for COVID-19 increase, testing turn-around times should improve, but remain contingent on sample collection, proper preanalytical handling (RNA is highly degradable), time to test result, and access to testing (point-of-care vs. lab-based).
Read news and stories about diagnostics and COVID-19
- 8/4/20 Siemens Healthineers Obtains First FDA EUA for Semi-Quantitative Antibody Test
- 6/1/20 Siemens Healthineers Receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization for its SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody Test that Delivers Superior Clinical Performance
- 4/23/20 Press Release: Siemens Healthineers to expand SARS-CoV-2 testing to include a total antibody test to aid in the COVID-19 pandemic
- Previous Press Releases
- The Role of Laboratory Test Biomarkers in Diagnosis, Risk Stratification and Monitoring of COVID-19 Patients
- Medical Innovation in a post-COVID-19 World
- Intelligent disinfection robots help fight the virus
- Siemens connects healthcare providers and medical designers to produce components through additive manufacturing
- COVID-19: Resources & Updates
AACC Webinar: Cytokine Storm Syndrome and COVID-19
In this webinar, Dr. Randy Cron will discuss criteria for identifying Cytokine storm syndrome (CSS) in patients, complications, and available treatments which include glucocorticoids, but also targeted therapies that dampen pro-inflammatory cytokines like interleukin-1 (IL-1) and IL-6.
Randy Q. Cron, MD, PhD
University of Alabama at Birmingham
AACC Webinar: The Role of Laboratory Diagnostics in SARS-CoV-2 Infection and Related Comorbidities
Experiences and Population Management Strategies from Highly Affected Regions of China and Italy: Laboratory tests are vital throughout many clinical pathways, and this webinar describes how laboratory medicine can efficiently help combat the COVID-19 outbreak.
Prof. Mario Plebani
Professor of Clinical Biochemistry and Clinical Molecular Biology, University of Padova School of Medicine
Chief, Department of Laboratory Medicine, University Hospital, Padova, Italy
Prof. Shu Kui Wang
Director of Central Laboratory
Nanjing First Hospital, Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, China
COVID-19 Laboratory Testing Guide
Testing is critical to differentiate COVID-19 from other respiratory disease such as influenza or RSV (respiratory syncytial virus). Widespread testing will both inform a COVID-19 diagnosis and aid a greater understanding of disease prevalence, especially in infections that are asymptomatic.
- What are the symptoms of COVID-19?
- How does COVID-19 progress?
- How to test for, treat, and immunize
- How are COVID-19 tests administered?
- How to avoid spreading COVID-19
Download eBook: Coagulation abnormalities in COVID-19 patients
As part of our commitment to labs and clinicians in the fight against the pandemic, we aim to keep you informed on current coagulation testing and monitoring recommendations in COVID-19 patients. Read our eBook for an overview on:
- Thrombosis risk factors
- ISTH-recommended coagulation testing algorithm
- Leading recommendations for anticoagulation treatment
- Relevant parameters for patient monitoring
Discuss comprehensive COVID-19 testing with a Siemens Healthineers expert.
Complete the form to receive more information on COVID-19 testing solutions.