Treating late-stage lung cancer is extremely challenging. However, lung cancer treatment can be significantly more effective if the disease is detected earlier in stage I or II, before the onset of symptoms when the disease is still localized. This emphasizes the benefit to establish screening programs for earlier detection. Precise lung cancer staging of lymph node involvement and distant metastases determines the prognosis and is the foundation of adequate therapy selection.
Most SOMATOM computed tomography (CT) systems are now indicated for low dose lung cancer screening. Siemens Healthineers offers the industry’s most comprehensive approach to low dose lung cancer screening. This is enabled on most of Siemens Healthineers’ new CT scanners as well as on the company’s installed base of non-end-of-support scanners, using the standard low-dose lung protocol.1
Image reading and reporting with syngo.via2
- 3D reading and advanced visualization
- designed for both routine and challenging cases
- dedicated modality-specific applications
- structured reporting (Lung-RADS™)
- server-client concept
Computed Tomography (CT)
- Siemens Healthineers' SOMATOM CT systems qualify for diagnosing as well as screening1 of high risk populations for lung cancer
- easy-to-use, reliable, and standardized
- extraordinary image quality
- unique dose-saving technologies and individualized protocols for CT; doses down to that of conventional X-ray in selected scenarios
- sub-second lung imaging protocols on selected scanners
- full spectrum of functional CT imaging with dual source technology
- computer-aided detection (CAD) technology for lung nodules
- CT-guided application for biopsies
- all relevant Siemens Healthineers' X-ray systems can be configured with dedicated hard- and software for lung imaging
- ClearRead Bone Suppression™ to suppress bone structures for a clearer, unobstructed view of soft tissue
- ClearRead +Detect™ is an advanced computer-aided detection (CAD) technology that identifies areas on a chest X-ray that may be early-stage lung cancer
Positron Emission Tomography – Computed Tomography (PET/CT)
- finest volumetric resolution3
- fast, amplitude-based gating technology (HD•Chest) virtually freezes respiratory motion and helps improve lesion detectability in the thoracic and abdominal areas
- FlowMotion™ continuous bed motion for routine imaging of motion-sensitive organs with the highest possible resolution
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Molecular MR (MR/PET)
- robust MR techniques for lung imaging
- unmatched soft-tissue contrast for infiltration assessment, surgery planning, and whole-body staging
- multi-parametric MRI can provide information on cellular density, perfusion, and vascularity
- DotGO workflow engines4, for standardized protocols and more predictable scan slots
- Biograph mMR™ combines MRI’s anatomical and functional information with the high sensitivity of PET in one single simultaneous, integrated MRI and PET system
Interventional imaging systems
syngo Needle Guidance for Siemens Healthineers' angiographic imaging systems like Artis zeego: an attractive option for guiding needle biopsies of the lung.
1Indication for low dose lung cancer screening is applicable to the following scanner models: SOMATOM Force, SOMATOM Definition Flash, SOMATOM Definition Edge, SOMATOM Definition AS/AS+, SOMATOM Definition AS Open, SOMATOM Definition, SOMATOM Perspective, SOMATOM Scope/Scope Power, and SOMATOM Emotion 16.
2syngo.via can be used as a stand-alone device or together with a variety of syngo.via-based software options, which are medical devices in their own right.
3Based on volumetric resolution available in competitive literature for systems greater than 70 cm bore size. Data on file.
4DotGo Workflow for Biograph mMR is still under development and not commercially available yet. Its future availability cannot be ensured.