What We Do
At Magnet Technology, we take enormous pride in developing truly innovative technology to produce superconducting magnet solutions of exceptional quality. We are committed to continuously improving our performance. Individually and as a team, we recognise the vital contribution we make in creating medical equipment that transforms healthcare and the lives of people across the globe.
The superconducting magnets produced here are solely for use in MRI systems. We manufacture many different product types with three different field strengths(1.5, 3.0 & 7.0 Tesla). The field strength influences the MRI image quality, allows for certain applications and enable speed of image acquisition. The magnet types within the different field strengths address certain market segments, ranging from economy to high end and patient comfort.
Around 95 per cent of the magnets produced at our Oxfordshire facility are exported, and we have been awarded several Queen’s Awards for export success. More than 30 per cent of the MRI scanners installed in hospitals worldwide have at their heart a superconducting magnet manufactured by us.
Magnet Technology was established in 1982, formerly known as Oxford Instruments where the world's first superconducting whole body MRI magnet was created. Since then, the employees of Magnet Technology have been proud to see so many accomplishments made throughout the years:
- 1986: Developed the world's first Active Shielded magnet.
- 1989: Developed the world's first 1.5T Active Shielded magnet.
- 1994: Developed the world's first Open MRI magnet.
- 1997: Developed the world's first 3.0T Active Shielded magnet.
- 1999: Developed world's first 1.0T Open Active Shielded magnet.
- 2000: Developed the world's first 4.0T Active Shielded magnet. Developed the world's shortest 1.5T MRI magnet.
- 2004: Developed the world's first 1.5T Openbore magnet.
- 2005: Overall Best Factory UK Winners
- 2010: Best Factory Awards Winners: Most Improved Plant and Innovation (Process and Design). IMechE Manufacturing Excellence Award: Award for Product Innovation.
- 2012: Queen's Award for Enterprise in Innovation. Best Factory Awards Winners: Best Engineering Plant, Supply Chain Award and Innovation Award. Highly Commended for Skills Development Award.
- 2013: 5* Environment Award from British Safety Council (first Siemens UK business to receive award).
- 2014: Announced the development of 7T MRI Magnet. 5* level in the European Foundation for Quality Management (EFQM). Recognised for Excellence Program.
- 2016: Developed the first 7T MRI Scanner suitable for clinical use. Winners of the MacRobert Award 2016 for outstanding engineering innovation.
- 2019: EuroMinnies 2019 Award Winner for Best New Radiology Device (1.5T Magnetom Sola MRI Scanner).
A career at Magnet Technology means you'll be helping to develop truly innovative technology to produce superconducting magnet solutions of exceptional quality. Individually and as a team we recognise the vital contribution we make in creating medical equipment that transforms healthcare and the lives of people across the globe.
Corporate Social Responsibility
Every two years our employees decide which charitable organisation we wish to support, and currently we are helping the incredible work by Cancer Research UK. In fact, we have recently extended this a further year given the nature of the charity, the important links to our products and the number of activities we wish to complete.
Following World Cancer Day on the 4th February 2019, we broke through the £14,000 mark for our fundraising activities with much more to come.