Lung cancer screening and diagnosis
Lung cancer is the third most common cancer in the UK. Around 47,800 people are diagnosed in the UK each year1.
Treating late-stage lung cancer is extremely challenging. However, lung cancer treatment can be significantly more effective if the disease is detected earlier in stage I or II, before the onset of symptoms when the disease is still localised. The authors of NELSON Study point out that "Lung-cancer mortality was significantly lower among those who underwent volume CT screening"2. This emphasizes the benefit to establish screening programmes for earlier detection. Precise lung cancer staging of lymph node involvement and distant metastases determines the prognosis and is the foundation of adequate therapy selection.
Targeted Lung Health Check programme
Targeting those most at risk of lung cancer, the Lung Health Check programme contributes to the ambition of the NHS long term plan to improve early diagnosis and survival for those diagnosed with cancer. Over four years, the programme will work with ten projects covering fourteen CCGs to deliver lung health checks to approximately 600,000 eligible participants3.
Mobile lung cancer screening service
Siemens Healthineers and Cobalt Health medical charity have partnered to provide a mobile lung cancer screening service.
- A dedicated resource for patients who qualify for lung health screening
Engage with patients in community-based locations
- Provision of high quality lung health check support units, ultra-low dose CT mobile and staff
“Cobalt Health medical charity are very excited to be part of the first commissioned lung screening service in the UK. As a medical charity, we have been supporting oncology services with the NHS for over 50 years using the latest technologies. The partnership with Siemens Healthineers will enable us to deliver the very best service to the community using the latest Siemens Healthineers equipment.”
CEO Cobalt Health medical charity
The patient experience
The Lung Health Check CT scanner mobile unit has been designed around the patient in order to create a welcoming and friendly environment in a clinical setting. The workflow ensures that the patient is at the centre of the examination, enabling the radiographer to stay in the room with the patient during the scan.
Manchester Lung Health Check
Manchester Lung Health Check delivered in partnership by Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust and Manchester Health and Care Commissioning.
- Serves North and East Manchester, one of the most at risk regions for lung cancer in the country
- Pilot programme in 2016 quadrupled lung cancer early diagnosis rates
- The official programme was launched in April 2019 and in its first year carried out almost 9,000 lung health checks, 4,500 low dose CT scans and detected lung cancer in 88 patients
This new initiative allows us to test people who are at a higher risk of lung conditions, regardless of whether they’ve noticed any symptoms, enabling us to diagnose lung cancer and other respiratory conditions at a much earlier and more treatable stage. Tests are quick and non-invasive, and located in easily accessible areas in the community. Thanks to new technology and an innovative approach to screening, we anticipate this new service will revolutionise the way we identify lung cancer.”
Clinical Director of Lung Cancer and Thoracic Surgery at Wythenshawe Hospital
Hull Lung Health Check
Hull Lung Health Check delivered in partnership with Humber, Coast and Vale Cancer Alliance.
- Hull is one of the areas where the number of patients with lung cancer is much more than other places4
Thurrock and Luton Lung Health Check
Thurrock and Luton Lung Health Check delivered in partnership with NHS Luton Clinical Commissioning Group, NHS Thurrock Clinical Commissioning Group and East of England Cancer Alliance.
- Thurrock has one of the highest rates of death from lung cancer in the UK and some of the highest rates of smoking with over 10% of the local population labelled as smokers5
The Royal Brompton Hospital and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Brompton & Harefield NHS Hospitals make up the largest specialist heart and lung centre in the UK 6
Newcastle and Gateshead Lung Health Check
Newcastle and Gateshead Lung Health Check delivered in partnership with Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group.
- Each year in the North East, smoking causes over 5,500 early deaths. When it comes to lung health, spotting problems early can make a big difference7